Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sign Language: This is not the ASL you're looking for...

So, since it became clear that Moodles understands more words than she can say, I've been trying to teach her some ASL, so she can communicate more things to people other than Mommy, Daddy, and Grandma.

This morning, I was THRILLED because when as soon as she got up, she  was signing "milk" at me... or so I thought. I poured her some milk and handed her her sippy, and signed "milk."

She signed back "MILK!" but then threw the sippy on the floor and hit me in the knee.

"No, GENTLE." I told her.

She rolled her eyes and *patted* my knee. Then she *hit* my knee and signed "milk."

"But I gave you milk and you threw it on the floor. Right there."

"Milk." *hit, hit, hit*

"GENTLE."

*sigh, pat, pat* And then she ran off, leaving me to pick up her milk and follow. She went to her book collection and picked out a book and then waited patiently for me to sit down in the reading position. I
sat, and she handed me the book. "Milk."

Oh.... Riiiiight. "Hand, Hand, FINGERS, THUMB. You were showing me FINGERS, THUMB, weren't you? I am sorry, sweety. Your Momma is 'Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dumb."

**For those of you who are not familiar with the book, it's about a bunch of monkeys with drums. She wasn't hitting me. She was doing the drumming part of the book that we do every time we get to "dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum."

1 comment:

  1. LOL. We're doing some signing with G for the same reasons, and I probably would have made the exact same mistake. At least now you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete